You want to become a massage therapist, yet the thought of going to massage school and working at the same time is daunting. Successfully managing work and school requires passion and perseverance. Do you have what it takes to become a certified massage therapist? Of course you do! Utilize these eight helpful hints to navigate your way through massage therapy school while still working your day job.
1. Set your priorities, and then stick to them. Decide what needs your attention most at any given time. For example, if you have a biology test coming up, you might want to turn down that extra shift at work or the happy hour invitation from your best friend.
2. Time management is the key. Get yourself a day timer, and then map out your class, work and study schedule.
3. Talk to your employer. Find out how flexible (or not) your employer is willing to be with you. Your class times may vary from semester to semester, and there will be times when you need to study more and work less.
4. Find time to unwind. Relaxation and rest will keep you healthy and happy.
5. Stay connected with your friends and family. And seek them out when you need encouragement or advice.
6. Let go of perfection. It will consume precious time and energy. Just do the best you can.
7. Know that you'll feel overwhelmed at times. But don't cut and run! Remember, this is your dream.
8. Take advantage of college support services. These include personal counseling and wellness treatments.
Most importantly, just begin the process. Register in a certified massage therapy program now and before you know it, you will be successfully managing your own career while living your dreams.