At this time of year, it's easy to let stress get the best of us. And while there are a myriad of chemical and pharmaceutical remedies for our problems, aromatherapy offers a natural, effective and pleasurable way to bolster our health, happiness and well-being. Below are six simple ways to combat fatigue, stress and winter illness using two common and affordable essential oils: lavender oil, with its soothing and calming qualities, and eucalyptus oil, with the power to clear the head and relieve muscle tension. These essential oil remedies will leave you feeling refreshed, relaxed and energized-naturally!
1. De-stress bath to help unwind at any time: Add eight to 10 drops of lavender oil to a full warm bath and agitate to disperse. Lie back for 10 to 15 minutes and let the cares of the day gently ebb away. To soften the skin, add a cup of full-fat milk to bath water.
2. Rejuvenating steam facial to refine and detoxify pores: Add four drops of lavender oil to a bowl of hot water, and then place a towel over the head and steam for up to five minutes.
3. Tranquil meditation for quiet time and focus: Add six to eight drops of lavender oil to your favorite vaporizer. Alternatively, add to a tissue and breathe deeply to fully inhale the calming aroma. For best results, wear loose clothing, warm the room and dim the lights.
4. Winter inhalation to relieve a blocked nose: Add four drops of eucalyptus oil to a bowl of hot water, and then place a towel over the head and inhale for up to five minutes. For added benefit, place a few rosemary sprigs into the water.
5. Relaxing foot bath to relieve tired toes: Add six drops of eucalyptus oil to a bowl of warm water/foot spa and soak for 15 minutes. For added benefit, add half a cup of Epsom salt to water.
6. Muscle-reviving bath for overexertion: Add eight to 10 drops of eucalyptus oil to a full warm bath and agitate to disperse fully. Lie back for 10 to 15 minutes and let muscle tension ebb away.