Each chakra is a primary energy center, linking physical, spiritual and emotional well-being. For optimal health, balance must be maintained between the chakras. Massage and essential oils may be used with energy work to bring balance and grounding to each chakra.
The word chakra is a Sanskrit word meaning wheel, disc or circular form and signifies movement. There are seven primary chakras arranged in ascending order along the spinal column. These energy centers begin at the tailbone and end at the crown of the head. Each is related to an organ and nerve plexus of the body:
• Root chakra: organs of elimination/lumbosacral plexus
• Sacral chakra: organs of reproduction/ hypogastric plexus
• Solar plexus chakra: organs of digestion/solar plexus
• Heart chakra: organs of circulation and respiration/cardiac plexus
• Throat chakra: organs of metabolism (thyroid)/carotid plexus
• Third eye chakra: endocrine system/medulla plexus; pineal plexus
• Crown chakra: mind; pituitary gland/cerebral plexus
Chakras draw in energy, and they can discharge it back out as well. Energy surrounds and permeates everything. Every thought, wish, hope and fear has its own vibration and frequency. The energy of the body is linked to your subconscious mind as well as your conscious mind. When you become consciously aware of this energy, you can direct it and channel it for chakra healing.
Energy healing consists of interventions that release energetic blockages and repattern and balance the human biofield. Energy healers are trained in energy movement. There are many different modalities, and energy work can be combined with massage. Each chakra has a corresponding point along the spine; this area can be massaged while incorporating "feeling" into the chakra. By using basic energy work, you would:
- Set an intention for balancing and aligning the chakras. The chakras in the palms of the hands are powerful sensors and channels for vibratory information and energy.
- Place one hand on your first chakra and one hand on your second chakra.
- Hold your hands in this position until you feel the energy equalize or until you start to feel it pulse in a patterned way that indicates the two chakras are balanced. Your intention to balance them will do the work.
- Move your hands to your second and third chakras and repeat the balancing.
- Move your hands to the third and fourth, etc., and repeat.
- You will feel the energy move as well as the difference in the body as you massage.
Both the energy body and the visible physical body are so closely related that what affects one, affects the other. By healing the energy body, the visible physical body gets healed in the process.
Regularly balancing and aligning the chakras enhances physical health. It is important to take care of the chakra system with the same love and concern you do your physical body. Anytime there is something going on in the body that shouldn't be happening, it is due to an underlying blockage or issue in the corresponding chakra that requires attention. By rebalancing the chakras, the organs and nerve plexuses can function in harmony, restoring health. Energy healing with massage addresses both the physical body and energetic body and optimizes the full potential of health.